The construction of Masjid Wilayah started in 1996 and was completed in the year 2000 – just in time for the country’s National Day at the turn of a new millennium. The mosque was the brainchild of Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamed during his tenure as Malaysia’s fourth Prime Minister. Located just a stone’s throw from the city centre near the MATRADE building and Tuanku Abdul Halim Road’s (formerly Duta Road) government complex, the mosque was officiated on the 18 February 2005 by the Yang Di-Pertuan Agong (King of Malaysia) at that time, Tuanku Syed Sirajudin Ibni Almarhum Tuanku Syed Putra Jamalullail. The mosque is heavily influenced by the Blue Mosque, also known as the Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey which was completed in 1609.
Its centrepiece on top of the main prayer hall is made up of not just one, but several domes comprising a main dome on top, half domes underneath it and a number of smaller domes around it. A total of 22 domes adorn the mosque’s rooftop (Islamic Tourism Centre, 2013).
More than just a mosque, Masjid Wilayah is also a community, research and educational complex, equipped with a host of facilities such as a meeting room, a seminar room, a library, a multi-purpose hall and accommodation.
Accorded the status of a State Mosque, the Masjid Wilayah Persekutuan sits on a hilly site, overlooking the panoramic view of the Kuala Lumpur skyline. Surrounded by green buffer zones, the mosque’s building was designed using a hypostyle plan surrounded by a moat boasting a series of cascading waterfalls to evoke a sense of serenity and tranquil. Its floor is finished with colourful mosaic, used to create the rippling effects, making it seem that the mosque structure is floating on top of a water body (Aziz, A. A., 2016).