The history of Masjid Jamek Sultan Abdul Aziz, Jalan Templer, Petaling Jaya began in 1956 with the rise of a two-storey building on the current spot of the mosque, formerly known as ‘Surau Kawasan Melayu’ Petaling Jaya. The old surau can occupy from 100-150 congregation members. In the early 60s, the surau changed from its wooden base to a concrete, shaped like a half-open umbrella. The new building is larger compared to the old surau and can occupy up to 300 congregation members. The new building was officiated by DYMM Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Al-Haj Ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Hishamuddin Alam Shah Al-Haj, the Sultan of Selangor of that time on the 23rd October 1964, equivalent to 17th Rabiul Akhir 1384. The building was officially named ‘Masjid Jamek Sultan Abdul Aziz’ in honour of the Sultan.
In the coming years, the works of expanding the mosque was done during the 1980s to fill the increasing numbers of people coming to the mosque. Nevertheless, the city of Petaling Jaya continued to progress and the number of residents in the city rise from time to time. In around 40 years after the mosque’s construction, it can no longer hold the number of people coming in to perform their prayers. In addition, the mosque’s condition was not getting better aging rapidly with cracks and water leaks began to deteriorate the mosque. Upon discussion, the management of the mosque had decided to give the mosque a new breath of life to Masjid Jamek Sultan Abdul Aziz, by rebuilding the mosque complete with necessities to the residents nearby.
In 2005, the Federal Government and the State Government had agreed to approve a sum of money for the purpose of rebuilding the mosque which was around RM15 million. The Federal Government contributed around RM10 million while RM5 million came from the State Government. In addition, the mosque obtained around RM1 million from generous donators, residents and private companies. This made the total funding of the mosque to reach RM16 million.
In September 2006, the old mosque of Masjid Jamek Sultan Abdul Aziz was demolished to make space to the new mosque on the same site. The newly built mosque occupied a floor space of 7,374 square feet, with a few amenities such as an office, a meeting room, a lobby, a dialysis centre, a parking lot, a large space for prayers, and classrooms.
The mosque was first used on 20th August 2008 and finally officiated on 10th October 2008, with total cost of the mosque to reach RM11, 335,365.78.