Masjid Jamek Putra was built to replace the original mosque located by the river near the bridge over the road to Air Limau. The original mosque was too old and was not be able to accommodate the growing congregation. According to the old folks accounts, in the nineteenth century on the site of the old mosque there is an anthill resembling a form of a mosque. For a long time the inhabitants of the surrounding area did not pay much attention to the anthill until a villager was said to have dreamed in his sleep that he was approached by a person and instituted the suggestion of building a mosque in the place. After recollecting the dream to others, it was discussed by the village elders. Finally they reached an agreement to build a mosque.
Since bricks did not exist in those days, the mosque was built using clay. In conjunction with this incident, this village, originally called Kampung Sungai Baru, was converted to Kampung Masjid Tanah taking on the original mosque’s name which was built using clay.
The old mosque that still exists now may not be the original mosque. However, it became a historic building. The word ‘Putera’ in the name of this mosque is taking on the name of the country’s Father of Independence, Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj .
The site of this mosque was originally a paddy field owned by Hjh. Lamah bte Mat, Hjh. Mani bte Sidin and Hjh. Amah bte Che’ Mat. The mosque was rebuilt using stone in 1809 and finally a more suitable
mosque was constructed as it is seen today in 1970 and was named “Masjid Jamek Putra Masjid Tanah