Kangar’s Masjid Alwi is one of the state’s major landmarks. Adopting classic Mughal architecture, it was registered as a WARISAN (National Heritage) in 1988, under the National Heritage Act 2005. Efforts to collect funds for its construction started in the 1920s. Funded by Muslim tithes (zakat), donations from Muslim government officials and businessmen as well as allocations from the State Government, construction finally began in 1931 under M. C. Hay and fully completed in 1933 under O. E. Venables. The mosque was officially opened by the Sultan of Perlis at that time, Raja Syed Alwi Ibni Almarhum Tuan Syed Safi Jamalullail, of whom it was named after.
Being at the heart of the state’s capital, all of the state’s major attractions are within walking distance from Masjid Alwi, including the State Museum, the Clock Tower and the elegant State Secretariat Building, as well as a number of accommodation options around town.