Masjid Abdullah Fahim was named in honour to a famous scholar Allahyarham Sheikh Abdullah Fahim Sheikh Haji Abdullah. Sheikh Haji Abdullah Fahim was born in Mecca in 1870, at a place not far from The Grand Mosque (Masjid Al Haram) called Shuib Ali. His father, Sheikh Ibrahim resides in Mecca and became a religious teacher in The Grand Mosque. Sheikh Haji Abdullah Fahim was a committee member of The Grand Mosque. In Mecca, he took the opportunity to learn and gain knowledge about Islamic and international politics. He was able to master more than 15 topics in Islamic knowledge. Besides, he was a man with incredible fighting spirit, as he joined the Islamic movement to fight against western colonials. He had two sons, Ahmad Ghazali and Ahmad, the latter known as Ahmad Badawi, who was the father of the former Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. In 1925, Sheikh Haji Abdullah Fahim returned to Kepala Batas and continued his teachings to local students at his house.
The cost of building the mosque was around RM25 million. The construction of this mosque started in 2009 and finally officiated in 2012. The mosque can accommodate up to 5,000 visitors at a time. The official handover from the developer Jabatan Kerja Raya (JKR) to State Development Office of Pulau Pinang was conducted successfully on 1st October 2012. The State Development Office of Pulau Pinang then allows the Pulau Pinang Islamic Council (JHEAIPP) to take over the management of the mosque.
The first Zuhr prayer in this mosque was performed on 11th October 2012 and the first Friday prayer was performed on the very next day, 12th October. The first prayer, was attended by namely Tuan Yang Terutama Tun Dato’ Seri Utama Haji Abdul Rahman Abbas, former Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Pulau Pinang and Tun Abdullah Haji Ahmad Badawi, former Prime Minister of Malaysia.